11/12/11





Yesterday, we headed back out to Spirit Falls on the Washington side of The Gorge. I was there last Friday, but I wanted to see the fall colors (if any) a bit more vibrant than last weeks' trip.

We took the wrong entrance into the falls, which is ironic because Brian #2 has been there 4 times previously, and I was there last week. After following some game trails for a bit, we made it. Brian #3 hasn't really bushwhacked yet, so it was his "break in".

We got down to the falls, and were not disappointed! Nice colors were there, but the real treat was above the falls, along the creek. For me, it is hard to find a good comp with a creek/river and foliage. I found some I liked on this day, and it wasn't just limited to this area.

After shooting this place for a few hours, we ran into Sheldon. I have never run into anyone out in the wild before that had been a "contact" on any of the photography sites. We had a nice talk, and then headed out.

Once back to the car, we decided to head over to the Oregon side of The Gorge as the clouds had moved in. The lighting was amazing. After a quick stop in Hood River for some refueling (coffee), we stopped at Starvation Creek. This place had exploded with color! The best part is that the incoming rain kept all of the tourists away! We ran into one other photographer here, and he had a large format camera. Very nice guy.

2 hours or so later, we decided we better go to Elowah, as it was getting late. The sunset is at like 4:45pm. Right before we got to the trailhead, it started to rain lightly. It progressed to a heavy downpour and made for one of the worst rains I had shot in. The Gorge gets an average of 7-8 feet of rain a year. Pretty crazy. I was soaked, as was my gear and I took maybe 10 shots. It just got too dark. I am hoping to get back out there this week at some point before the leaves are blown off of the trees.

Here are some of the images. I think my keep ratio from yesterday was maybe 90%. A lot of times, it is like 9-20%. Oh well, if it was this easy, everyone would do it...oh wait...:) More images to come tonight or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Dustin, your photos are stunning. I had been considering purchasing a RMC Tokina 17mm f/3.5 for my Fuji X-T1. A search on that lens led me to your blog, and after looking through your photos, I was convinced it was the lens for me. Well done.

    ReplyDelete