5/22/12

Posted by dustin gent |
Been a while since I entered anything here - this is due to being busy, and thus not being able to go out shooting. There was over a month between shoots, which got me thinking. During the next 3-4 months, I will most likely be pretty busy with work - so that means not a whole ton of shooting; but you never know. This got the thinking about selling the camera, as it doesn't gain value. Yes, I think about resale value on most everything:).

Then it dawned on me that I could shoot film. When I last shot film, I was not very good - to say the least. It is a bit more expensive, but not as bad as I had thought. Plus if I am not shooting a ton, it won't cost me as much, and film gear doesn't depreciate - especially the higher end bodies. Scanning is pretty cheap, and the files are equal to 17 MP files.

Another reason to shoot film is to get better as a photographer. With digital, one gets kinda lazy, especially with things like Live View, being able to instantly see the shot, and of course the histogram. I don't have Live View on my camera, the LCD screen on my old camera is not very good and I don't know how to read a histogram; so these extras I won't really miss. Sure I would be lying if I said I won't miss the instant results (i.e.; no waiting to get developed, etc).

Film will make me slow down, although I don't usually fill my CF card. Also, each shot will literally cost me money. I will still bracket my shots, but in moderation, lol. My goal is to be able to trust my skills enough to where I can go to some place new and know that I can get the same shot I could with digital. Perhaps shooting film might be a new trend. I have been told that B&W film is on the rise in the U.K.

Anyways, here is a shot from yesterday, taken in The Gorge.


0 comments:

Post a Comment