11/6/11

Posted by dustin gent |


I have been at this photography deal for many years. It has been really a crazy journey. My dad used to have an SLR back in the 80s. I remember him toting that around when we would go on vacation, or to the beach, park, etc. It was a Minolta, and he had several lenses, flashes; the works.

In 1987 (perhaps 86') I was 8 years old and I got a Kodak Reflections camera, which I still have to this day. It was a point and shoot little camera, but it was a stepping stone, so to speak. I used that until I got a Canon point and shoot from Target for like $149 in 1992 or 1993. I used that until I got an SLR (EOS 650 or 630) in the late 90s. I had the "kit" lens, but I was happy with that.

My first digital camera was a Fuji Finepix 2400Z. It was a point and shoot, but back in 2002 or so, they were still expensive. Canon had just released the original Digital Rebel 300D, and it was a break through as far as the price went, but still too expensive for me at the time. My next camera was a Fuji S602Z. It was an EXCELLENT camera and what really got me out shooting landscapes. It wasn't the fastest camera, but it had great IQ. It also was almost as expensive as the DREB. I had that camera for several years and then moved onto a 20D.

It wasn't until I bought the 1Ds that I got serious about photography. What I mean about serious is shooting for a reason. I always have had the "film state of mind". Learning with film makes you stop and pay attention to everything - the lighting, composition, etc. As everyone knows, with film you have to wait sometimes up to a week (I shot Velvia 50 slide) to see what you captured, and if you missed focus or used the wrong aperture, it sucked to say the least (especially if you had driven 500 miles to a location). When I got the digitals, some of that went out the window due to the ability to see results instantly.

Nowadays, I only post what I think people would want to hang in a frame. I got back to the basics, lol. The images posted here are from years and years ago. They aren't necessarily bad or good, but more of a progression - if you will.

Now that I have the "history lesson" out of the way, I have been contemplating offering "workshops". I know that there are many others that offer their services with great results, and some not so successful. At this point, I am just jotting down ideas, but the prices will be VERY affordable. I think I have a grasp on photography, and with photography booming in popularity, many people would like to learn new techniques. You can always email me or comment if any questions arise in the mean time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment