11/3/12

Posted by dustin gent | File under : , , ,
Haven't posted anything here in quite a while, which there a few reasons for that. Being busy with work hindered my shooting schedule. It is always a good thing to busy with work (most of the time), but not such a good thing when it cuts into my shooting time.

Since selling my 1Ds in May and picking up an F5 in late May, I have shot maybe 5 rolls of film. From June until mid October, 5 rolls of film was enough. My film experiment taught me a few things. Firstly, I learned to really slow down, and not shoot haphazardly, so to speak. Obviously with digital, other than the initial cost of the camera and memory cards, it really doesn't cost anything to take pictures. Only thing you expend is memory capacity and energy.

Second thing I really came to appreciate is patience. I already was a fairly patient person, but with film, you HAVE to know you can nail an exposure before you even hit the shutter. You will not know what the "results" are for at least a week after dropping off the roll - and there are no re-dos. With digital, you simply look at the LCD and reshoot if need be.

When I was at a waterfall this past summer, it was raining practically for an hour straight; and the flow from the creek was running high. The spray from this falls was impressive. Not only did I have to wait until it stopped raining, I had to wait out the wind, as there was so much spray from this falls; and I was a good 100 yards downstream. The result of my patience is this image - Little Niagra Falls


That was shot with my Nikon F5, Fuji Pro 160S (discontinued, sadly) and my Tokina lens. 2 or so weeks ago, I decided to get back into digital. A few reasons for this decision. Biggest factor was the discontinuation of film. Reala was discontinued a ways back, and even finding it on eBay was scarce - and it was not cheap. $7-$12 a roll is not economical. Once you factor in scanning and developing, the cost easily exceeds $30 a roll. Another reason to slow down when shooting.

Another reason was the amount of time it was between when I dropped off the film until I received it back. Sometimes it was a few weeks. I also couldn't just finish off a roll for the sake of getting it developed. For example, I had a new roll of film in my camera when I went to Mt. Rainier National Park, and when I left a day later, I still had 20 frames left. The next time I was able to shoot was a good 3 weeks later. Even the next time I shot didn't always guaranty I would finish off the roll.

So mid October this year, I picked up a mint Nikon D700 for a smoking deal! I finally got out to shoot with it yesterday and I am blown away by the results thus far. I will give my "review" in my next post. For now, here is a shot taken yesterday.


0 comments:

Post a Comment