12/31/11

Posted by dustin gent | File under : , , , , ,
To everyone who reads this blog, heres' to a happy new year and hoping 2012 finds you all well. 2011 has been an interesting year. In the last 8 months, I have captured the best images I have ever! The irony is that I am using even older gear than I was in previous years. Perhaps it makes me think more about what I am shooting. I will admit that when I had autofocus lenses, I never EVER used manual focus.

Summer of 2010, I had a Canon 40D, 17-40L and a 50mm 1.8. I would just keep it on AF and not really think about anything. Sure it was in manual mode, but still. I had always wanted to get a full frame camera, but of course it would cost me quite a bit more to get a FF body. I think my 40D was worth $500, and the two lenses maybe $700 combined. So theoretically I could get a full frame, but then have no lenses. After some research on the FredMiranda Alternative Forums, I was stoked. I never realized that there were so many amazing lenses for so cheap. Obviously you sacrifice autofocus and exif data, but oh well. I learned photography on film, so I have already some experience writing info down, such as film speed, aperture and focal length — all stuff I would still need to.

So I sold my camera and lenses and finally found a 1Ds in summer of 2010 and bought an OM Zuiko 28mm 3.5 with a fotodiox adapter to mount it onto the body. It is a sharp lens, but I look back at the pictures from that, and I still didn't grasp using manual focus. For some reason, I sold all my gear at the end of September 2010 - even my tripod — only to repurchase photo gear in late January 2011. I went as far as to buy another 40D and a Tamron 17-35 2.8-4, but never even used them, as I was going to regret going from full frame to a crop body.

Off it went to eBay and on FredMirandas' excellent buy and sell forums, and I picked up another 1Ds in February 2011. I must say the sensor on this one is MUCH cleaner than on my old one, plus I am much harder on this body than on my first 1Ds. I found an OM Zuiko 24mm 2.8 locally (by chance!) for like $120. I used that and picked up a Samyang (Rokinon) 85mm 1.4 to mess around with. For anyone who doesn't know this by now, Samyang is NO JOKE! The 85mm 1.4 is like $260 at Amazon.com, brand new. This lens is so AMAZINGLY sharp, it is rediculous. It is manual focus, but who cares:). Samyang also makes a 35mm 1.4, 14mm 2.8 and I think they are coming out with a 24mm 1.4.

After several months of using this combo, I came across the Tokina 17mm 3.5 RMC. I hadn't heard much about it, and I ended up outbidding one other person on eBay. I got the lens for $130 shipped to my door. I was told that this lens would not come close to the performance of the Zuiko 24mm, but I wanted to try it out. Even Ken Rockwell gave it a great review - even though I don't follow that guy. I didn't realize that the lens I got was in Nikon mount, so I have a fotodiox Nikon to EOS adapter. Pretty "alt" if you ask me.

Soon after shooting "Weeping Walls", the Zuiko was on eBay. I didn't sell it because I found it to be lacking after using the Tokina, I sold it due to I would seriously not use it that much, as I like wide angles for landscapes. It is a phenomenal lens! Now I am thinking of adding a Zuiko 28mm 3.5 to my kit, as 17mm is too wide for a lot of things. The 28mm 3.5 averages about $45 on eBay or on craigslist. Pretty crazy!

I still cannot believe this combo can capture what it has! So for those of you that are reading this and worried about getting older gear, DON'T! I honestly believe that using this combo has made me grow 10000% as a photographer. Attention to every detail is imperative. It makes you slow down and take your time, even though it is digital.

Before I close this post, one last thing. Before I bought my 1Ds, I would hear the 1Ds described as being "film like", which I didn't understand. I also hear the 5D is also like that, although I haven't used a 5D. The 5D would be dead by now in the conditions I shoot in, seriously. Well, here is what "film like" is. Kinda gritty, but still good. I am hoping to upgrade to a 1Ds2 or even 1Ds3 this year (and lens), but I need to start making money before doing this:).

Until next time,

Happy New Years'


0 comments:

Post a Comment