1/20/12

Posted by dustin gent |
So a good buddy of mine told me yesterday that round trip tickets from PDX to Las Vegas are $120 (plus any bag fees), and that he wants to go on a South West trip! I have been to Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend (and Grand Canyon but as a kid several times), but never to Zion, Arches, Death Valley, etc.

What does this have to do with getting back into film you may ask (or maybe not :). Well, while the job situation is looking better, I still am not full time. Add that we are moving (saving money each month!) next week, expenses add up. So right now I am thinking of selling my beloved 1Ds to help pay for the move and to have some extra money. If I work next week, then I won't sell the camera. Right now, if I sell the camera, I will buy a film camera (most likely an EOS-3 as it is weathersealed and wicked durable - I had one years ago) and some film.

Currently I am looking at film options. I had a Nikon CoolScan IV ED scanner, but was not impressed by the scan quality. That scanner is not cheap; they still go for $400+. There are labs locally that offer drum scanning. It is NOT cheap (about $60 a scan), but I will only do this if someone wants a print from a slide. I will have my slides scanned by other means than drum scanning, just to get them online. I will also check about scanning quality of slides vs color negative prints. I will keep my lens I have now, so theoretically I should have close to the same quality, as my digital camera is 10 years old and was just the beginning of the Full Frame revolution.

Oh and if I sell my camera, I WILL get a website. It will only be temporarily (not having digital full frame). I need to start selling my prints at shows and such. I believe it is good enough to sell - otherwise I wouldn't go to the great lengths to capture these amazing spots.

Here is a shot from 2006. I was with my father on this trip. He lived in Prescott, AZ and wanted to do a small road trip. Shot with a Canon 30D and EF-s 10-22mm. I was as close to the edge as I could get!


0 comments:

Post a Comment