2/9/12

Posted by dustin gent |
I realized that I have been ignoring my blog lately. I apologize. I am a numbers guy. I like looking stats and such. Apparently this blog is over 10K views since I started this back in October. That is mind blowing, as one wouldn't think that as I don't have any comments - but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I keep this blog to show my work and perhaps give a story, or an adventure summary (if you will) behind the images posted.

So with this said, I promise to pick my "blogging game" up. I have many, MANY images that want to share. The problem has been the lack of post processing skills. More advanced techniques and such were over my head. That is my fault, as I didn't really take the time to learn. It is a daunting and overwhelming! Where does one start? There are tons of great videos out there. Sean Bagshaw and Zach Schnepf have amazing videos out. I haven't met either of these guys, but my buddy I shoot with quite a bit (heading to the Alvord Desert next week with him) has shot with these guys! My buddy Paul has shot with Chip Phillips several times (and has taken his workshop), and they are all part of Photo Cascadia. Check out the links and their blog! Very informative.

In any case, I have taken the time in the past 3 months to learn and mess around with different things in Photoshop. I feel my editing has improved a ton, and now I am going back over old photos that I had kept, with the hopes I would improve enough to bring them to life, so to speak. In the past, I tried to do as little post as possible, but now realize that is not a good idea. Even with a 1Ds3 and top of the line glass, post processing is still needed. Just taking the picture is half the battle - seriously. Now that I have learned (and am comfortable) with blending several exposures, I now bracket my shots when needed. I have no filters at my disposal; so on some scenes, I have the knowledge on what exposures I need to take to be able to execute a blend. I used to shoot bracketed (manually) shots years ago, but they were simply too far apart in exposure range to make them work.

With this said, I am still very much a novice at photoshop. I use the WONDERFUL Nik software, which all that stuff can be done in photoshop. The aforementioned videos show you how to do this, but Nik makes it much easier and quicker. I will probably learn how to do it manually. I also use Tony Kuyper's awesome actions. They seriously improved my post processing 100%! I have received many messages and comments in the past few months about how I have improved as a photographer, and how my photos look much better. To that, I reply that it probably is a combo of both. 2011 was when I really emerged from mediocre to above average I think. I upgraded cameras, but honestly most wouldn't consider it an upgrade. I had a 40D and a Canon EF 17-40L, and very good ultra wide zoom lens. I sold that and got my Canon 1Ds that is FIVE YEARS older than the 40D, and my lens I picked up in May - which I think made as big a difference. Combine this with the post processing tools and knowledge I have gained, and those are the reasons.

Also "shooting with a purpose"™ is my mantra. If I won't print it, I won't take it. I am also very hard on myself, and thus am very critical of my own work. Sometimes I will work on a photo for an hour or more, and then realize I don't like an aspect of it, and just trash it. If I am happy with the final edit, I know someone will want to buy it. I am hoping that this angle will actually prove to be correct!

Next week I am heading to southeast Oregon, specifically to the Alvord Desert. I have never been there, and am going to spend 4 days in this region. That means 9 sunrises and 9 sunsets. The Alvord receives 4" of rain annually, so I am hoping they don't reach their quota while we are there. Hoping the light gods are there with us, as it is an 8 hour drive there.

I will be back in a bit with new work. Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment