2/22/12

Posted by dustin gent | File under : , ,
Just got back from a road trip to one of the most remote places in Oregon, and possibly the whole Northwest region of the US. A guy we ran into while out in the Alvord Desert told us that according to a google search, the Alvord is the darkest place in the US - as far as light pollution (or lack thereof) goes.

In any case, it was dark. The stars were amazing, although we didn't get any star trails. Kinda wish we did, as the moon is at 1/4 (crescent) and didn't rise until 5am. It was was cold, and on Saturday night, it was a smelly 8 degrees and some snow. Also the wind was brisk at times.

I hadn't been here before, so it was really something to see. The Alvord has a playa (ply-ah), much like the more famous Death Valley Race Track. The Alvord Desert is larger than the one found in Death Valley, which is interesting. It doesn't get a lot of love, and many people here have never heard of this - even photographers. I am sure my buddies and I won't help keep this a secret any longer.

While I didn't get any amazing sunsets/sunrises, I am now addicted! I am hoping next time I get out here (hopefully this summer as the thunderstorms I have been told are a true sight to behold), I can explore the area a bit more. It is quite the trek (8 hrs one way from Portland), but that is a good thing, as it keeps people from exploiting this area too much.

Here is the first shot I have worked from the actual Alvord Desert. My sensor dust is pretty bad, and I am a perfectionist - so it takes me a bit of time to clean up the image before editing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment